After spending the winter dreaming of warmer weather, it’s easy to forget just how hot the summer can get. Patios, decks and beautiful lawns are the perfect backyard spots to spend time with family and friends during this season. But extreme summer heat can make even the loveliest outdoor living space feel unwelcome.
It’s also important to remember that people aren’t the only ones that struggle when temperatures soar. Grass and plants are also affected by hot temperatures. These outdoor cooling strategies and summer lawn care tips will help make sure your loved ones stay comfortable all season long while still maintaining beautiful, lush grass.
SUPPORT YOUR LAWN DURING THE HOTTEST MONTHS
- Limit Water Intake: A common misconception about maintaining grass in extreme heat is the necessity to over water. Follow our advice to water “deeply and infrequently.” Water deeply to wet the entire root zone, and then do not water again until the grass is dry.
- Don’t Cut Too Short: Never mow more than one-third the length of your grass! If a lawn is cut too short, it reduces the plants’ ability to produce energy for growth. When cut at the proper height (3″- 4″ is recommended), grass develops stronger roots that are more tolerant of stress.
- Don’t Mow In Extreme Heat: It’s better to mow in the morning before the sun is high or towards the evening. Avoid mowing the lawn during drought stress. Lawns under such stress are limited in their ability to recover from mowing and can be damaged even more. Instead, mow the grass after rainfall or after irrigation.
- Sharpen Your Blades: Sharp blades make a clean cut as opposed to ripping and tearing the plants. Blunt blades will injure grass and make it vulnerable to dry conditions, pests and disease
HELP KEEP YOUR OUTDOOR LIVING SPACE COOL & COMFORTABLE
- Create More Shade: Umbrellas, sail shades and pergolas help keep the ultraviolet rays off so you can safely enjoy your time outdoors while still allowing you to feel the welcome breezes of summer without all the heat that can often come with it. Not only are they functional by providing some much-needed relief, but they can also contribute to the style of the space as well.
- Run Cooling Fans: Running fans in your backyard to keep the air moving can offer a cool breeze during the heat of summer. Fans can provide real relief even though they don’t actually cool the air, they just circulate it. Fans can also help keep bugs away for a pest-free environment.
- Add Rugs and/or Paint: A durable outdoor rug could be a lifesaver to protect sensitive bare feet when the temps are scorching. Make sure you choose a light colored, all-weather rug and store it away during the winter months. Bare concrete tends to get hotter than a painted surface so you can paint or stencil your patio or wood deck a shade of white to keep it from absorbing some of the sun’s rays.
Why Go Inside When the Temperatures Outside Rise?
When summer rolls around, the heat doesn’t have to ruin your outdoor amusements. Try some of these outdoor cooling solutions to keep your backyard more comfortable this summer. Even in the peak of the heat, you and your family will be able to find some much-needed relief while enjoying the outdoors together. It’s about supporting your lawn and keeping it healthy during these hottest months. By being consistent in your lawn care routine, you can keep your grass in beautiful shape during the long, sweltering summer days.
Professional Lawn Care Services Give You Peace of Mind
You don’t have to avoid the outdoor space that you love so much because it’s too hot! At Greenskeeper Professional Lawn Care Services, our lawn services include treatment and maintenance programs provide your lawn with the right attention, at the right time. We can tailor a lawn care package to meet your needs and budget. We have been beautifying lawns in Pennsylvania for over 50 years and take pride in our roster of satisfied customers. Click to submit our online form or call us at 215-938-8440 and we’ll contact you asap to set up a no-obligation appointment to learn more about our lawn care services!