As spring arrives, it’s satisfying to watch the grass green up, and the flowers start to bloom. You may know the importance of removing debris from the flowerbeds and getting the trees trimmed. Your grass also needs some attention at this early time of the season to give it the fuel and support that is necessary to create a stunning lawn for the rest of the year.
Tips to Nurture Healthy Grass
During the spring months, focus heavily on improving the overall health of the grass. To do that, you need to have a good understanding of what your lawn needs. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Rake deeply: Spend some time raking the lawn. Rake deeply, pulling out dead grass and debris from below the blades of grass. Removing thatch like this helps to allow oxygen to get deep into the soil and the roots. Do this after the lawn begins to green up as turfgrass tends to be somewhat fragile during the early spring months.
- Determine if aeration is necessary. Aeration doesn’t need to be done every year. It’s best to do so in areas where the lawn gets heavy traffic as that creates compaction of the soil, limiting the movement of water and oxygen through it. If you see any evidence of moss growth, that’s an indication that aeration is beneficial.
- Check the soil. The presence of moss or weeds, mildew, or other components may indicate an imbalance of nutrients in the soil. Performing a soil check can help determine what nutrients the grass needs to thrive. Most grass prefers a neutral pH level.
- Overseed the lawn now: Bare patches are common in the spring months. Now is a good time to overseed the lawn. While doing this, also apply slow-release nitrogen fertilizer to the grass. This helps to give the new seed a better opportunity to germinate and fill in gaps. You’ll notice a full lawn in a few weeks.
- Fertilize properly. During the spring, fertilize to prevent crabgrass and to replenish nutrients lost during the winter. Too much fertilizer is problematic, though. Use a light application of spring feed.
Professional Lawn Care Can Help You Now
You don’t have to wait until you are cutting the grass to have a team out to inspect and make recommendations for your lawn. Calling our team out now may provide you with the best way to prepare your lawn for a much more vibrant summer.
At GREENSKEEPER, our service programs are perfect to put in place for your residential or commercial property now, in the spring months. We can talk about any need for overseeding, aeration, and fertilizing when you give us a call. With over 50 years of experience, we’re confident we can help you have the grass you love.
Call GREENSKEEPER to know how we can help you this spring. Call us at (215) 938-8440 or contact us using our online form and get a free no-obligation quote today.