When temperatures are warm and you have extra time, such as at the end of summer, you may be tempted to do some hard work on your lawn. That could include seeding it and aerating, both of which could be important steps. However, summer is not the ideal time to do this. Instead, wait until the fall.
When and How to Aerate Your Lawn
A good starting point for your lawn renovation is aeration. This is the process of improving the amount of oxygen, water, and nutrients that get to the soil and the grass roots. Aeration also helps to encourage strong and healthy grass growth, often creating fuller and greener grass. Here are a few things you need to know about aeration:
- Does your lawn need it? Aerate if your lawn is a place where pets and children play, or there is a lot of foot traffic. You don’t want to over-aerate. Some lawns just do not need it. Take a closer look at your grass. Does it seem matted and flattened? Then consider aeration.
- When is it growing? Aerate the lawn while it is actively growing. This helps to ensure the grass has an opportunity to recover from this somewhat intense experience.
- When should you do it? For those in Pennsylvania, it’s likely you have cool-season grass. This type of grass grows thicker and faster in the spring and tends to remain green all through the fall. Those are the ideal times to aerate – early spring or late fall.
When to Plant Grass Seed
Grass seed may seem like an easy step in improving the way your lawn looks, but that’s not the case. Grass seed takes time and care to ensure it’s done well. To do that, you need to know a few things about when to plant grass seed and how to do it well.
- Are you overseeding? This is the process of planting grass seed into an area that has existing grass present. It’s common to do this when you have areas that are discolored, or there are bald patches. It’s also okay to do this when you want your lawn to come in fuller and thicker.
- What’s the weather like? To perform well, your grass needs to have a lot of moisture. You can certainly water every day but choosing a time of the year when the soil is moist on its own, increases your chances of success.
- When should you do it? The best time to overseed in our area is in the late summer, as long as it is not too dry. Otherwise, wait until the cool fall air arrives. Grass grows more during these times.
Let Us Help Your Lawn Thrive!
At GREENSKEEPER, our service programs are designed to help give your grass everything it needs to grow thick and healthy. Let us take a closer look at the condition of your lawn and make recommendations for updates and repairs, including aeration and overseeding.
Call GREENSKEEPER to take care of your lawn. Call us at (215) 938-8440 or contact us using our online form and get a free no-obligation quote today.