When it’s time to improve the look and feel of your yard, you may have more than one option. Grass seed is often the go-to option because of its affordability. For many, though, there’s no time to wait for seed to come in, and the option is sod. Which is best and why? The short answer to this question is, both have advantages and disadvantages to consider.
What Are the Benefits of Seed?
Grass seed has several benefits over sod. It does take longer to grow in, and it may also be more difficult to start when the soil isn’t in good condition. Some of the benefits of choosing seed include:
- It’s affordable. Sod typically costs significantly more money, depending on where you live. The cost of premium grass seed is still significantly lower than the cost of buying sod.
- It’s easier to place. Grass seed requires soil preparation for the best results. Sod does as well, but there is a lot more labor involved in placing the sod. This can lead to more manhours of labor if you hire someone, or more hard work for yourself.
- There are more options. Grass seed is available in numerous additional options than sod. That includes various grass seed blends that could be tailored to your specific environment. Sod is limited to what is available and grown by producers in your area.
- Grass grows in place. Seed grows into grass right there in your yard. That’s an advantage over sod that needs to be able to grow much deeper into the top soil layer. Grass can grow deeply right from the start.
What Are the Benefits of Sod?
Sod is a fantastic go-to in some situations. If you are planning an event at your home, the obvious benefit is that sod is ready to go and green right from the start. Consider a few other benefits it offers.
- The results are immediate. When sod arrives at your home, it is green, beautiful, and healthy. There is no delay in waiting for seed to come in (and then having to re-seed when it does not come in full enough).
- Fast erosion control. Placing sod creates the erosion protection you need in some areas. Because sod is like a blanket over the top of your soil, it creates an instant layer of protection for the soil.
- Plant it anytime. Another key benefit is that you can plant sod from spring through fall and expect good results.
- Weeds are not established yet. Sod doesn’t typically have weeds growing in it (it shouldn’t anyway!). Look for state-certified sod to ensure this is the case.
Still Unsure? We Can Help
If you’re not sure which option is best for your needs, let our team help you. Call us now to get a quote to discuss all your options. GREENSKEEPER offers versatile solutions for your home. Check out our service programs to learn more.
Learn more about our adding grass seed and sod to your property. Call GREENSKEEPER at (215) 938-8440. You can also contact us using our online form for a free quote.